The Benefits of using Natural Casings
In the many years I’ve been in the casings industry and a lover of sausages, I’ve yet to find an artificial casing as good as natural skins. The following is a short article about why you should use natural casings for your sausages.
- are permeable allowing deep smoke penetration to produce sausages that are rich in flavour and aroma. This allows the sausage to breathe, allowing the cooking flavours to permeate the casing and infuse the meat which enhances the aroma and taste of the sausage.
- protect the fine flavour of the sausage, without contributing any conflicting flavourings of their own.
- have unique natural curves and sheen, with rounded ends where the sausage is linked giving the sausage visual appeal.
- have a non-uniform appearance, sausages stuffed in natural casings are clearly distinguishable from mass-produced products and are therefore acceptable as a higher quality, premium product.
- have excellent characteristics of elasticity and tensile strength, to allow for high efficiency production and expansion during filling
You can’t compare the natural bite and tenderness of a natural casing with any man-made product.
There are many advantages to using natural sausage skins, but one main point that I feel is the most important, is the fact that they’re Natural!!!